Karren specializes in bankruptcy, family law, and real estate. Having been an advocate and litigator since 1989, she is also a certified family Mediator.
While family law matters can become emotional and stressful for all involved, she applies her skill and experience as both advocate and counselor to clients. She understands the personal circumstances and employs her considerable litigation skills as counselor-advocate, while remaining objective in rendering advice on issues of great importance to the client. Karren has handled trials and hearings on virtually all aspects of spousal and child support, custody, and property allocation.
In 2011, she prevailed on her client’s appeal, with a published ruling clarifying Illinois law on property and retirement account allocation. As Mediator, she assists the divorcing couple to reach agreements on crucial family issues such as custody and visitation.
A member of the Illinois State, Kane County and Dupage County Bar Associations, she has authored articles for the Dupage Bar Brief, a publication provided to all members of the Association. Her husband, Don Hoppe, is also an experienced civil litigation trial attorney. They are active in their church, volunteer for non-profit organizations, and are devoted to animal rescue.
- 1989 Licensed to practice law in Illinois
- 1991 Northern District Court of Illinois
- 1991 DuPage County Arbitrator (chair qualified)
- 1994 Family Law Mediator and Conflict Resolution Certification
- 2000 DuPage County Child’s Representative Certification
Professional affiliations since 1989
- 1990 DuPage County Bar Association member
- 1990 Illinois State Bar Association member
- 2012 Kane County Bar Association member
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers
- Past-President of Kiwanis International of Central DuPage
- Current Board member of JUST of DuPage
Recent Seminars and Special Training
- 2011 Restrictions on Visitation
- 2012 Emerging Trends in Legal Ethics and Professionalism
- 2012 DCFS Adoption & Guardianship training for attorneys
- 2012 Bankruptcy issues in Divorce
- 2012 Civil Litigation Trial Advocacy Program
- 2012 Finding Hidden Assets in Divorce Cases
- 2013 Division of Retirement Benefits & Child Custody Evaluations
- 2014 DCFS Adoption & Guardianship Training for Attorneys
- 2015 Using Tax Information in Divorce Litigation & Forensic Accounting
- 2015 American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers New Changes to the Illinois Family Law Statutes
- 2015 Kane County Bar Association Overview of New Family Law and Parentage Act; Allocating Parental Responsibility, Relocation and Custody of Children
- 2016 Kane County Bar Association Family Law Ethics, Guardianship & Probate considerations
- 2016 DCFS Child Welfare Transformation Summit
- 2016 Kane County Bar Association Seminar on Guardianship, Adoptions and changes in the IMDMA
- 2017 Kane County Family Law Seminar on Illinois Income Shares Child Support Statute