Timothy B. Newitt
Tim has been a lawyer since 1974 when he graduated from Georgetown University Law Center. “He has worked in the public sector, for a corporation and in private practice. “He joined the firm in 1988 and became a partner in 1992. “His practice consists mainly of civil litigation. “He handles commercial, family law and real estate cases among others. “He has tried more than 130 cases to verdict in both Federal and State Courts in the Chicago area. “He has handled appeals in the Seventh Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, the Illinois Supreme Court and various intermediate Illinois Appellate Courts.
His approach to litigation is a practical, client-oriented approach. Tim listens carefully to his clients and works with them to resolve their matters in the most efficient way possible. “His goal is always to settle a matter amicably, if that is possible. “He recommends mediation and other alternative dispute resolution procedures in cases where such measures are appropriate. “He works with opposing counsel to get to an amicable resolution of a matter whenever possible. “In those cases where it becomes necessary, he never hesitates to use all available tools of litigation, including trial to resolve the matter in court.
Tim is a member of the publication committee of the Dupage County Bar Association. “He has been the lead articles editor of several issues of the award-winning DuPage Bar Brief and has written articles for that publication. “He is the author of the chapter on Relief from Judgments in the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Family Law Manual.
At Wheaton College, Tim majored in French. “He received a M.A. in French from the University of Illinois and taught foreign language at the college level before enrolling in law school at Georgetown. “He and his wife Judy have two grown sons. “Tim is active in his church where he sings in the choir, is a lay reader and plays the trumpet. “He is also in the trumpet section of the Symphony of Oak Park and River Forest where he served as a board member and board president. “He formerly served on the board of the Winfield Chamber of Commerce. He is currently a member of the board of Soli Deo Gloria, a nonprofit organization that promotes the composition and performance of classical sacred music.
- B.A. Wheaton College
- M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- J.D. Georgetown University Law Center
- Taught French and German at Thornton Community College and Wheaton College.
- Assistant Attorney General, State of Illinois.
- Private practice with the Law Offices of Kenneth S. Jacobs
- Staff attorney in house at Edward Hines Lumber Company
- Associate at Fagel & Haber, Chicago
- Associate and shareholder Johnson Westra Broecker Whittaker & Newitt, P.C.
PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
- U.S. ex rel. Taylor v. Brierton, 458 F. Supp. 1171 (N.D. Ill., 1978)
- U.S. ex rel. Stewart v. Scott, 501 F. Supp. 53 (N.D. Ill., 1980)
- U.S. ex rel. Bonner v. WARDEN, SCC, 422 F. Supp. 11 (N.D. Ill., 1976)
- U.S. ex rel. Placek v. State of Ill., 546 F.2d 1298 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1976
- U.S. ex rel. Moore v. People of State of Ill., 577 F.2d 411 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1978)
- U.S. ex rel. Henne v. Fike, 563 F.2d 809 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1977)
- U.S. ex rel. Healey v. Cannon, 553 F.2d 1052 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1977)
- U.S. ex rel. Hairston v. Warden, Illinois State Penitentiary, Stateville Correctional Center, 597 F.2d 604 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1978)
- U.S. ex rel. Bonner v. Warden, Stateville, Correctional Center, 553 F.2d 1091 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1977)
- U.S. ex rel. Allen v. Franzen, 659 F.2d 745 (C.A.7 (Ill.), 1981)
- People v. Vance, 76 Ill.2d 171, 390 N.E.2d 867, 28 Ill.Dec. 508 (Ill., 1979)
- People v. Turner, 354 N.E.2d 897, 64 Ill.2d 183 (Ill., 1976)
- People v. Stacey, 369 N.E.2d 1254, 68 Ill.2d 261, 12 Ill.Dec. 240 (Ill., 1977)
- People v. Smith, 374 N.E.2d 472, 71 Ill.2d 95, 15 Ill.Dec. 864 (Ill., 1978)
- People v. McDonald, 62 Ill.2d 448, 343 N.E.2d 489 (Ill., 1975)
- People v. Knippenberg, 66 Ill.2d 276, 362 N.E.2d 681, 6 Ill.Dec. 46 (Ill., 1977)
- People v. Hyche, 396 N.E.2d 6, 77 Ill.2d 229, 32 Ill.Dec. 893 (Ill., 1979)
- Marriage of Wenc, In re, 689 N.E.2d 424, 294 Ill.App.3d 239, 228 Ill.Dec. 552 (Ill.App. 2 Dist., 1998)
- In re Marriage of Morreale. 351 Ill.App.3d 238, 286 Ill.Dec. 256, 813 N.E.2d 313 (Ill.App., 2004)
- In re Marriage of Drysch, 314 Ill.App.3d 640, 732 N.E.2d 125, 247 Ill.Dec. 409 (Ill.App., 2000)
- Progress Printing Corp. v. Jane Byrne Political Committee, 601 N.E.2d 1055, 235 Ill.App.3d 292, 176 Ill.Dec. 357 (Ill.App. 1 Dist., 1992)
- Contract Builders Service Corp. v. Eland, 428 N.E.2d 178, 101 Ill.App.3d 366, 56 Ill.Dec. 859 (Ill.App. 2 Dist. 1981)
- Baker, In re, 376 N.E.2d 1005, 71 Ill.2d 480, 17 Ill.Dec. 676 (Ill., 1978)